Sunday, August 24, 2008

Discovery Exercise 11

I found the whole concept of a wiki really intriguing. The idea that anyone can establish a collaborative website that allows users to easily add, remove and edit content is fascinating. I assume that this tool is exempt from copyright rules? I haven’t had time to research this aspect further at the moment.

Of the library wikis that I checked out I particularly liked the Book Lovers Wiki - developed by the Princeton Public Library – I was caught by the book reviews and ended up requesting one of the titles reviewed. I think that a North Shore Libraries wiki, established for book lovers by book lovers to add book reviews to should be considered and may be a useful tool for selectors to view.

As an aside my daughter alerted me to an interesting wiki www.tvtropes.org - a catalogue of the tricks of the trade for writing fiction. It includes a page or two on how it differs from wikipedia (less stringent guidelines on language for instance).

No comments: